Cycling Buddy

Member | Login with facebook
Forgot password?

Forum > Best Cycle Routes! > Suburban Rides

Thumb Disappointed C.
04 August 2013, 21:49
By my experiance having travelled around the UK to various towns and cities, I am sorry to say that most urban areas are not as "cycle friendly" as many local authorities would like us to beleive. I think it takes more than a few painted white lines with bicycle symbols to make urban and suburban areas truely cycle friendly, enabling syslists to get the most out of city cycling. This is a great shame, here in the UK at least, because if only we could do as much as (for example) the dutch and danish do for cyclists, as we would have some great interesting shorter urban cycle rides that would inspire many beginner cyclists to 'take that first step' to start cycling in their locality. I think the key to making urban cycling a success, is to make cyclists feel both safer, and also more interested in urban rides, maybe with quirky features like interesting bridges, fords and better pathside lighting. With that all said, if you are adventurous with an open mind, there are some interesting city and suburban rides to enjoy, especially for family rides including children. Get out and explore! KK.

Reply to this message

Thumb Wayne B.
24 June 2012, 21:02
Not everyone will want to hit the open roads, doing the pretend Tour de France where ever, but some just want to have leisurely rides around areas near where they live which is a lot easier these days since many councils have put in or allocated cycle paths that can take you on a good long ride. In my area of Redcliffe, we have a good system of cycle paths that takes you around the Peninsula with sea views, to riding across the bridge into Brighton Sandgate and if you like to the Boondall Wetlands. Then there is cycle path that takes you to Deception Bay in the other direction, another nice ride. Living on the Redcliffe Peninsula I don't need to transport myself to any where to have a good ride, it's right on my doorstep. Use to as a young fella when living in Goulburn NSW would ride out of town about 20 to 40 miles some times then ride back to town, sometimes catching up to the road racing cycling club, which was something, for they had their multi geared road racing bikes and I just had my single speed Speedwell road bike then, think that some was thinking what in the hell was I doing hooking onto their peloton on a non racing bike. It was fun those days giving them a bit of a stir. Now it's just a bit more of a gentle ride for me, can't even imagine riding my pushbike out in the snow like I had in the past, getting soft I guess.

Reply to this message

Post your message

Sponsored links

Sponsored links