Cycling Buddy

Member | Login with facebook
Forgot password?

Forum > All About Kit > Cycling Apps

Thumb Sarah P.
11 September 2012, 13:20
I use Strava, the free version, which is available for Android phones, or Garmin Sat Nav download/upload. Not sure if there is an I-phone version. I have found the GPS quite consistent and I like the program features post ride (power/speed at each point of your route, elevation etc.). By paying for an upgrade, you can get access to link to your heart rate monitor and calculate a "suffer score".. What I do particularly like, are the "segments" set by yourself or other people, which allows you to compare your performance with other people who travel the same segment. It gives me something to challenge myself with when travelling the same route on my morning commute. I would imagine it is a good training application, though as I don't take my cycling that seriously, I can't say much more. No problem running on my android based phone, though I generally allow the screen to power off whilst cycling to conserve the battery.. Battery power has been sufficient for an hour and a half's cycling with screen on permanently. I think this is well worth a look.

Reply to this message

Missing Richard D.
07 September 2012, 07:50
I use runkeeper app on my iPhone, free app, gps tracks your route, measures distance ( not always accurate, as it measures my same commute to work differently), climbing, calories, pace. You can set goals, my current one is to bike a 1000 miles, (I'm nearly there). It gives you plenty of feedback and encouragement.

Reply to this message

Thumb Anthony B.
29 August 2012, 09:22
There are a myriad of apps available to download focused on cycling, some free, some pay-to-download; some with GPS tracking, others with dubious mapping. I'm interested to hear what other people are using, whether there are specific apps for different kinds of bikes and riding and which should be avoided at all costs. My current favourite is 'Roadbike'. This is available free or a pay version which cost me about £3. I linked it to my Facebook account but, for some reason, it hasn't been able to upload my routes yet. When it logs me in, I have to select 'No' each time to the app wanting to access my data and post on my behalf - would have prefered a one-time-only feature. Once the app has loaded up, it gives you real-time tracking of a number of features - time, distance, speed (in km or miles), calories burnt, ascent (in feet or metres). If you splash out on additional kit, it also measures your rpm and heart rate. The map is linked to Google maps and provides pretty good GPS tracking. It would have been nice to be able to plan and follow routes rather than simply tracking progress, and I had to use another app when I wanted to plan my journey. A feature I particularly liked was the virtual coach who told me every so often how many calories I'd burnt, how far I'd gone, how fast I was going and how long I'd been cycling. With the free version, you only get this for the first fifteen minutes, but I liked it enough to buy the 'Pro' version which included all the pay-for bolt-ons. Having completed the ride, the app provided a range of telemetry showing my pace relative to time and distance. This has been useful. Overall, the app is a nice program to have on your smart phone. It didn't drain my battery too quickly, even running on a fairly old Apple 3GS. With the ability to plan and track your route it would be even better and a tough app to beat.

Reply to this message

Post your message

Sponsored links

Sponsored links