Cycling Buddy

Member | Login with facebook
Forgot password?

Forum > All About Kit > Kids Cycle Helmets? BMX style or 'normal' style?

Thumb Horatio S.
25 August 2012, 12:21
Thanks, for that. All advise gratefully received. Keeps his options open.

Reply to this message

Thumb David M.
24 August 2012, 18:13
Hello Paul, having rode BMX for more than 10yrs & now riding a road bike I find BMX helmets feel safer. I have crash more times than I care to remember & my BMX helmet has saved my head. If you buy a BMX helmet go for one by Pro-Tec from Source BMX. But I do disagree with Roderic as you can hear fine & do not restrict view. If you ride a skate park you need to have good vision. But it is down to personal choice. Ta Bob

Reply to this message

Thumb Horatio S.
24 August 2012, 16:11
Hi Stefan and Roderic, many thanks for both those comments. Turns out Chain Reaction have got a DAWES Team GB helmet in the traditional cycle style. I'll get him one of those, after all the Olympic events we watched together that's sure to be acceptable. It is meant to be a surprise, but I shall see what he thinks about this one. Thanks again. Paul

Reply to this message

Thumb Roderic E.
24 August 2012, 11:12
Hi Paul, when I was a registered cycling instuctor we wouldn't allow BMX/Skateboard type helmets for two main reasons. They can restrict all round vision and/or hearing, important in todays traffic. It really is about informed choice and if you think that the particular helmet your son's chosen is ok in these aspects then go ahead. The big battle all parents face is "cool". And I think we can all remeber from the other side too

Reply to this message

Thumb Stefan B.
24 August 2012, 10:43
Hi Paul. I'm no expert on helmets but with the benefit of more 30 years riding bikes and motorcycles, I would say it all comes down to fit. Whatever you buy, make sure it fits really well. So find a lid with a good adjustment system so it sits securely on you son's head. I would also look for something that is specifically designed/sized for a child's head rather than a larger lid that needs lots of padding to make it fit. And get expert advice. I recently bought a new cycling helmet. It was interesting experience. I went to a well known major cycle retailer and asked for some help/advice on fitting. They had a vast range of lids. The assistant said: "choose anything you want, they're all the same really". I walked out. I eventually ended up at Leisure Lakes in Rugby where one of the guys was happy to spend time on advice and fitting. I bought a great fitting lid from them. An ill-fitting helmet is little use in an accident. Oh, you might want to let your lad decide what is 'cool'. Then he'll be more likely to wear the lid.

Reply to this message

Thumb Horatio S.
23 August 2012, 20:47
My 10 year old son needs a new helmet. Should I get him a BMX / Skateboard style helmet, because they look cool! or should I insist on the traditional cycle helmet style? i.e. is there any weaknesses with the BMX style helmet that I ought to be aware of? thanks for helping. Paul W

Reply to this message

Post your message

Sponsored links

Sponsored links