Cycling Buddy

Member | Login with facebook
Forgot password?

Forum > Starting out! - Need advice? > Young mind old body

Thumb Stan D.
14 September 2012, 09:04
Wow your all youngsters. I am 75 in December and go out 3 times a week with some mates one Pete is 81. Its a new group for me I usually do about 30 Kms. But will be doing 40 to 50 now. Kevin B you have a long way to go. Keep it up !!!

Reply to this message

Thumb Grant L.
08 September 2012, 18:57
I'm the same Dave I now look forward to get on the bike now I've got use the saddle after 20 years of not ridding

Reply to this message

Missing Dave C.
08 September 2012, 15:52
Well I'm 57 been back in the saddle for about 15 months and my was it hard at first . About two weeks in I realised I was really enjoying my rides and couldn't wait to get out on my bike . It took me about 3 months to start loosing weight and realise I was clocking around 100 miles a week now 2 stone lighter and regular 150 Mlle weeks . I ride regular sportives and simply can't ride enough . So Safe riding to all .

Reply to this message

Thumb Tom D.
07 September 2012, 22:23
Same as that! I'm almost 43, I'm a runner and paid my duties to swimming as well. I used to enjoy my off road rides .. you know... when the weather was good (yes, both days of the year). Recently I had this brilliant idea to add the third sport of a Tri into my training schedule.. My family's money is on hip replacement... :$

Reply to this message

Thumb Fred J.
06 September 2012, 15:36
" The older I get the better I was" I'm 58 yrs young and have looked at several cycle clubs around my area ( I prefer off road). My problem is cyclist my age usually have been going for a number of years so I can't keep up as I'm just starting out. The younger ones just starting out are usually hell bent on injury and not too keen on having someone my age riding along with them. I have joined cycle buddies to get over this problem and so far I've been pleased with the response to my requests and have arranged a few trips around the local area.

Reply to this message

Thumb Blue M.
29 August 2012, 17:03
I've just started cycling after 10 yrs of doing nothing. I had a heart attack in 2002 but before that I had played Hockey and Rowed for the RAF. I stopped the rowing when I came out but continued with the hockey. After the heart attack..... nothing. I don't have any problems with my heart now but have piled on loads of weight and now I want to get it off. I'm 55 by the way and hate riding on my own which is why I have joined.

Reply to this message

Missing Bob M.
21 August 2012, 08:51
Ha ha, you guys know nothing! I turned 60 this year, started cycling 4 months ago and next month, I am travellingto Holland to cycle to Barcelona, 2,100kms! If I can do it at 60, you youngsters can easily do whatever you set your minds to! :)

Reply to this message

Thumb Patrick L.
21 August 2012, 07:08
I,m turning 51 this year its not old but my body won't let me do the things I could do at 21, saying that I cycled up Ventoux on my 50 Birthday not sure I could have done that at 21. Flexibility is what I'm loosing I am going to take up yoga and try and improve. I think the secret is to keep going, sitting and becoming sedentary is not an option. Happy cycling!

Reply to this message

Missing Kevin B.
21 August 2012, 06:30
I am just the same, i am 40 and my legs are 80

Reply to this message

Thumb Morris l. H.
19 August 2012, 22:34
Yes, I started back into cycling at 49 on a MTB. Best advice get a bike that is comfortable. I have 2 bicycles now a MTB and a Road. Invest in a comfortable seat, and Hydration. High tech clip in pedals are nice too but not a necessity unless you get serious about improving your bicycling performance. Keep it simple and enjoy your rides, that way you stick with it and gain all the health benefits.

Reply to this message

Thumb Darren F.
19 August 2012, 10:20
I am just trying to get back into cycling, but the biggest challange i have is i still think i am a teenager, but my body is 30 years older. Does anyone else go through the same thing

Reply to this message

Post your message

Sponsored links

Sponsored links