Cycling Buddy

Member | Login with facebook
Forgot password?

Forum > Starting out! - Need advice? > Best Frame Material

Thumb Mark J.
03 October 2012, 13:47
Think you answered it all within the question! Carbon is dear and the quality / type of weave can vary. Same can be said for Alloy frames though. Some are 6061 grade, mine is 6066 and again there are varying grades of hardness higher and lower than this. I had my heart set on a Van Nicholas Titanium frame (thinking best of both worlds) but i didn't like the "springy / shocky" feel. anyone who's ridden one will know what i'm on about. Steel i think is the most forgiving but again quality and type varies. Reynolds tubing is forgiving and strong. In the end i went for a 6066 grade hydro-formed alloy frame (towards the higher end of the hardness spedctrum so act's a bit like steel) and a full carbon fork for a bit of compliance on the front end. The carbon framed version of my bike (a Merida 93 road ride lite) was only 800g lighter but cost a whopping £500 more. For someone who's 6'3" and weighs 17 stone 800g is neither here nor there. Hope this helps.

Reply to this message

Thumb Steve P.
23 July 2012, 15:40
What is your preferred frame material? Carbon is light but expensive, Aluminium light and affordable. The old steel frames may well be heavy in comparison but I think give a smoother ride. Picked an old Puch frame up and rebuilt the bike.It has turned out a cracker.

Reply to this message

Post your message

Sponsored links

Sponsored links